Friday, July 27, 2012

Mixed Media Canvas - Dream

I decided this week I wanted to walk away from Cut and Paste for a while and get my fingers totally dirty.  I love to create these canvases of the kids in my world and hang them through out my house.

This time though I reached for colors that I barely work with, green, peach, and yellow for the background.  After layers and layers of shimmer sprays, a little brushed corduroy around the edges, a little teal ink over the top,  some stucco, stamped script, masking tape, gesso, a little finger painting, a little drippage, the background was born.  Not much thinking just messy messy goodness. 




For the embellishments my focal point is the roses made from Aluminum cans. I have a video on these on my YouTube channel.   I used the Tim Holtz Tattered Rose and Tattered Pine cone to create them.  I rested them on top of a piece of sheer ribbon with sequin flowers.  Then for more texture I used the Prima Burlap Rose leaves, some were spritzed orange and gold to make them varied.   I added a Prima Cinderella Spray of Crystal flowers, and loved how the texture of the glass complimented the rustic metal.




To make the Prima birds blend a little better with the canvas I decided to alcohol ink them with black soot, patina rub-n-buff, and  then a gold paint on top of that. I did the same technique to the Prima birdcage (minus the Patina). I also patinaed a  metal butterfly and dragon fly charms from Pink Paislee.




I went through my Miscellaneous pile (the one that has a random element here and there left over from previous projects), and added the Prima Cabochon Roses, flower centers, and a random bead spray. I had put together the ornate plate with the ticket dream in it for a previous project and never used it.  Thought it complimented this one perfect so I threw it in. 

I love how all these random things came together.  There are so many textures in this piece that I can literally sit for hours and stare at it. When I walk by I can't help but reach out and touch it.

Thanks for stopping in today. 

Tonya Gibbs


Resources:
8x10 Canvas
Glimmer Mist:   Perfect Peach, Meadow Green, Gold
Prima:  Cinderella Spray, Clock, Cabochon Roses, Sultan Flower Centers, Resin Birds, Metal Birdcage, Burlap leaves, Resin Corner, Chain
Pink Paislee: Dragonfly and Butterfly Charm
Tim Holtz:  Ornate Plate, Adage Ticket, Number Plate, Tattered Rose Die, Tattered Pine cone Die, Brushed Corduroy Distress Ink.
Ranger: Black Archival Ink Black Soot Alcohol Ink
Rub-N-Buff: Patina
Misc: Stucco, Gesso, Ribbon, Gold Sharpie, Script Stamp, Aluminum Cans

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover