Friday, April 18, 2014

Masculine Mixed Media Card by Tonya Gibbs

 
I've been sharing a lot of pretty cards lately, and today thought it would be fun to share with you a masculine card.  Lately I've abandoned my art journal for pieces of 4.25 x 5.5 inch sheets of mixed media paper.  I try out new mediums, play with techniques, and then recycle these panels into card backgrounds.  I find that mixed media techniques make masculine cards come together much easier!  And you could always keep the card 1 layer and display your art rather than lots of layers.
 
Here are the steps I took to create the background
 
 
  1. Apply modeling paste to your card with stencil of choice (I used Heidi Swapps Honeycomb)
  2. Use A Faber-Castell Design Memory Craft Pitt Pen to apply color around the image. 
  3. Use your finger to smooth out the ink.
  4. Select a texture Stamp (I used Marion Smith Designs' Texture Stamp)  Apply ink to the stamp with a contrasting PITT Pen 
 
  1. Apply archival ink around the image to give a distressed look. NOTE: you can use distress inks, but if you add water, they will react with that water.  Archival ink is permanent when dry.) 
  2. Spray a wet medium onto a pallet.  I used Lindy's Stamp Gang Moon Shadow Mist in Gossamer Gold  
  3. Stamp a round object into the ink and apply it to your card
  4. You will see a water ring just like it were left from coffee or tea. 
To finish off the background I added pieces of tissue tape with matt medium.   I added the panel to a piece of black cardstock and created this card for my nephew's birthday.
 
 
 
He loves photography, so I took advantage of using up some scraps to create this photo layers.   The Camera and Polaroid Frame were a Spellbinder's Die.  I then added the Tim Holtz Film Strip Ribbon, and Marion Smith's Washi Tape from her Romance Novel Prima line.   Happy Birthday stamp was from Studio G.  My nephew was turning 13 so I added a few school aged elements like notebook paper, music tape, geometrical shapes, tag and paper clip.  
 
Don't forget about the Sketch Challenge through out the month.  You can get details here!
 
 
Thanks for stopping in today,
 
Tonya Gibbs
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Tonya!!!! This is AWESOME in so many ways!!! and SOOO Inspiring!!!!!!!!!! I'm on the hunt for that die now and just added modeling paste to my list for my next trip to michaels!!! TFS

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover